Friday, January 14, 2011

They are still standing - Shine on Brisbane!

The tragic flooding of Queensland is just mind blowing. Like the rest of the world, Ive been captivated by the graphic visual display that has  been played and replayed on television, and then again replayed on my mind. Ive been so churned, like the muddy rapid waters gushing through the towns of Qld. Its been hard to switch off, even when Ive turned off the television. Ive actually had to ask God to step in and bring peace to my heart and my head. Last night I couldn't sleep because of images and memories of death related situations and  new  vision of people being swept to their deaths in the floods. This tragedy resurfaced other trauma Ive experienced, churning the sadness and anxiety over and over in my mind. I heard someone say on the radio that this reaction is quite common. Im not concerned for I know that, this too shall pass.

Brisbane is my home land. Ive lived in Victoria for ten years but I'm still a Queenslander at heart. Its where I was born, where I was raised, its how I think, how I talk, how I act. There's so much of my life that has been there and its where much of my extended family still live. In fact, we've got family in almost every flooded area  in the state but all are ok. Brisbane, Kallangur, Petrie, BrayPark, Toowoomba, Gold Coast, Emerald, Bundaberg, Gladstone, Sunshine Coast, Goodiwindi, etc. Most of our family holidays are still spent in Queensland. Since I left my homeland, we've worn a track on the highways through the outback  crossing three states, from Melbourne to Brisbane and back again many many times. We know the flight path from Brissie to Tullamarine too and are seasoned travellers.

Living in Victoria, when I hear people talk of the Sunshine State, my ears always prick up. Whenever there's a maroon numberplate on the road, I smile to myself, and am extra grace to them on the road.  I love my homeland, and the people and when they hurt, I hurt too.

What these amazingly resilient people have endured over the past month or so, the rains, the flood, the loss, is almost indescribable. They are a mighty tenatious bunch. I have been so very proud of these people, how they have come together to face this terrible situation. How the leadership of this nation and this state and the cities affected have shown such amazing strength and good governance in the midst of this disaster, (not even considering their political perspectives). Its wonderful how tragedy brings the best out in people, its just a shame it costs so much.  The respected George Negus once said, "Qlders do disasters well" (meaning they cope well in the midst of tragedy)  and I have to agree.
(an amazing tribute from a church in Brisbane)

Despite the overwhelming contribution to my churning, I thank God for  the media, and their ability to present the news, the views and the pictures so that Qlders around the world can stay connected to their communities.  Ive also really valued the social networking media, which has allowed me to contact friends and family and stay abreast of all that is happening to them and their families. The challenging days ahead for Qlders will test their will, their sunshiny disposition and their ability to work together, The weather is still unpredictable but hopefully there will not be a repeat of this flood in the coming days. It will be difficult to watch from afar, unable to offer much practical help. But I intend to be a listening ear, for people to share their struggles, and help encourage them and pray for them. We will also give as much as we can financially to help the recovery efforts.  I wanna do my part if I can, to see my homeland restored as best as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment